Friday, April 30, 2004

Who? Me?

I spent today running a Teddy Bear relay race for my daughter's preschool field day. Yup. I know how jealous you all are. I can see you turning green from here. I just live the most glamorous life.

So, as I told a friend of mine (Hey you! Make nice comments to me, please.) in an E-mail today, I got nothing for the blog. I should probably just skip the day, but I've been on a roll. I wouldn't want to disappoint all eight of my readers.

My husband did say something to me last night that got me thinking. His mother had called while he was at work. I rarely talk with her on the phone because I so clearly make her uncomfortable. I'm not sure why, though. I try to be as friendly as I can.

"Oh, come on," my husband said. "You intimidate her."

"I'm not intimidating!" I replied.

And he laughed at me. He said that I am very intimidating and a "female version of your father."

Okay. Them's fighting words. Most women are afraid of turning into their mothers. Not me. I dread becoming more like my father.

Isn't it funny how different people can have such a different perspective of you. I'm pretty sure that my friends and acquaintances think I'm laid-back and easy going, sort of quiet, but sociable once I get going. But my family thinks I am a loud mouth, outspoken and opinionated, and too smart for my own good.

I like to think that I am actually well-balanced right between those two extremes. It's not that I really care that much what people think. I'm just curious. Isn't everyone curious about what people think of them?

No comments: