Friday, May 14, 2004

Day of the Military Spouse

Today is national Military Spouse Appreciation Day. So, you know...appreciate me. I've heard it said before that the toughest job in the military isn't even in the military. It's being a military wife. Yeah. I can relate to that.

And with all that has been going in the world lately, I'm feeling especially sympathetic of my sister military wives. And husbands and parents too.

I've been complaining about my friend AH a lot lately. Because she's driving me batty. But, her husband is deploying to Iraq next month, and as much as I want to scream at her, I still feel, well, protective of her.

The jobs that our husbands do are inheritantly dangerous. But usually, even when they are deployed to combat, because of the nature of their jobs, they still sleep in a nice bed with a real roof over their heads every night. But that isn't necessarily true in Iraq.


Combat Sleep Posted by Hello


Combat Sleep Posted by Hello


Combat Sleep Posted by Hello


Combat Sleep Posted by Hello

None of us like to think of the ones we love in harms way. And I know that my friends and I are pretty blase about their jobs. We are so much more focused on keeping our families together, keeping the bills paid and the car running, and keeping our children emotionally healthy that we just don't have time to worry.

But I know, that in those very lonely hours, after the kids have gone to bed, the phone has stopped ringing, and the world is dark we start to think. And we start to worry. And we wonder if it's worth it.

But we know...we have to believe somewhere deep in our hearts, that it is the service, the sacrifice, the love that makes our guys tick.

TO LUCASTA, ON GOING TO THE WARS

by: Richard Lovelace (1618-1658)

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
That from the nunnery
Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
To war and arms I fly.

True, a new mistress now I chase,
The first foe in the field;
And with a stronger faith embrace
A sword, a horse, a shield.

Yet this inconstancy is such
As thou, too, shalt adore;
I could not love thee, Dear, so much,
Loved I not Honor more.


Those last two lines are ones that I've kept tucked in my heart since college. Even when he is at his darkest hour, questioning why he is putting us through all this, I know the answer. Because he has to. He has no choice. It is in his heart. It is who he is.

And me? Well, I am a military wife. I take my own service to this country just as seriously.

No matter what you think of conflict. No matter what you think of politics. No matter what you think of war. You have to respect the service of those who give it so freely. Even when such service is sullied by a few evil souls.

And no matter what you think of service men and women, you have to respect their spouses. Especially those who stick it out. And as much as my friend drives me crazy, I'll keep my mouth shut, and be her friend. Because right now she needs me. She needs the support of the only people who could possibly understand what she is going through, other military wives. And all while I offer my support, in the name of friendship, solidarity, and love of freedom, I will remember one inescapable fact.

My own husband can be next.

No comments: