Friday, May 28, 2004

Too Much Remembering

I spent quite a bit of time today writing a post about an E-mail that I was forwarded. My mother's best friend has two sons serving in Iraq and she will often forward me E-mails asking for prayers or even just to remember.

This E-mail linked to a site called Remember the Blood of Our Heroes. It combined historic quotes and original text with disturbing images from September 11, 2001. It asked if we have forgotten. It asked if the wound has healed.

I don't know why I watched the whole thing. It made me cry and I'm still shaking. I felt compelled to write about it. After all, writing a blog is really supposed to be for you, right? It's supposed to be a place for you to reflect and work things out.

But no amount of reflection or analyzing could ever truly convey the complex emotions that we face when we personally deal with what happened on 9/11 or the two and a half years that have followed.

So after deleting and restarting quite a few times, I decided to ditch the whole thing. The wound still is too fresh for me. I'm not ready to pull the band aid off yet. I think instead I'll just be hugely grateful that I still have my husband and children. Because even as he serves away from home, he is still alive and he still loves us.

Before I checked my E-mail I was thinking of a couple of lighthearted things to blog about. Maybe I'll do that later. Right now, I think I'll just curl up into a ball and try not to think of anything. Or maybe I'll go read some of your blogs and try to distract myself. I hope you've all written some entertaining stuff for me!

Thanks for being out there, you guys.

No comments: