Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Don't Mess with Mommy

I just can't seem to decide what to write about today. I've started and restarted a couple of posts. Most of the things on my mind are kind of deep. And I just don't have the mental prowess today to do them justice.

So, as I've been told many times, when it comes to writing it is best to just go with the flow. And today I feel random. So here are some random thoughts.

***

The director of my daughter's preschool stopped me today at carpool to talk about my daughter. "She's so happy!" she said. "Have you noticed that she has just been so happy and bouncy these last few weeks?"

No. With me she has been sullen, moody, and emotional. What's up with that? Well, okay. It hasn't been that bad. But damned she's had her moments.

***

I had to take my son to my orthodontist appointment. I almost always take him with me, but my appointments are usually just a few minutes long. But, I was having all of my x-rays, impressions, and pictures taken so I knew it would be a long one. Considering that he has been acting very "two-years-old" lately, I was a little stressed at having to take him.

He was an angel. Of course. The nurses and doctor went on and on about how sweet and well-behaved he is, and then regaled me with stories of monster children.

The next day, my birthday, he threw a fit at the library (because I wasn't getting myself a book), the pool (he didn't want to get out), the kitchen (he didn't want to take off his wet clothes and get dinner), and in his bed, during his time out (because he didn't want to say he was sorry for throwing said fits). What happened to the angel at the orthodontist's office???

***

My husband passed his paper. Yay. Not everyone did. I was a little worried. But he still has to edit it further before it can be published. It's the assignment that will never go away.

***

I pissed someone off in traffic yesterday. Let me preface by saying that I am an excellent driver. Really. I am. My father taught me to drive and he took it very seriously. I drove in and around Boston for six years, and that teaches you something. And I've been driving for *ahem* 15 years without an accident.

There is a very skinny stretch of road through a college campus that I must drive four times a day. It's two lanes in each direction. The young man next to me decided that I was encroaching on his space, which I wasn't, and honked at me. Fine. Whatever. Then he sped by me, going at least sixty, cut in front of me straddling the two lanes and stomped on his brakes.

He did this twice. Real nice. If I was the bad driver he thought I was, we could have all been dead, twice. And a little road rage is really worth killing a two-year-old over, right? Never fuck with a mother, people. I seriously could have stopped my car and strangled the life out of that guy with my bare hands. I'm not sure that I've ever been that angry.

It's a good thing my father wasn't there. I've seen him hop out of a moving vehicle to threaten an obnoxious driver. Hmmm. Talk about road rage.

***

Ah. This is nicer than therapy. Cheaper too. I'm so glad to vent this stuff. Doesn't my life sound so glamorous? I've been pissy and depressed this week, but I'm feeling better today. You might be surprised how much your nice comments from yesterday helped me feel better. So thanks.

No comments: