Monday, August 23, 2004

The Important Stuff

Yay for technology! I'm back online, thanks to the mercy of the cable man. I kept asking my husband, "Are you sure the cable is out?"

He kept telling me, "The modem isn't getting a signal."

Except that it was. This is the second time in less than seven days that I have been embarrassed around repair men.

Last week we called housing maintenance because the smoke detector wouldn't stop beeping. You know, like it was out of batteries, except that it is hardwired. So the guys are standing in our house, trying to fix it, and one guy says to the other, "This isn't the one that's beeping."

And I suddenly had a terrible thought. I ran into the kitchen, looked behind a picture frame and saw (and heard) that it was actually the Carbon Monoxide detector that needed a new battery. They promised they wouldn't tell everyone back at the shop, but I doubt it.

So I told the cable man that story to try and earn some sympathy, and (I admit it) I flirted a little. He helped me fix the router. I could have figured out all on my own to unplug everything and plug it back in. Why to I let my husband handle these things? I'm always the one who ends up embarrassed.

Wow. I sort of got away with myself there. So anyway...

USA Softball won their third straight Olympic Gold Medal today. Woo hoo! What kills me about that team is that there are players who are older than me. Lisa Fernandez (shame on you if you don't know who she is) was a junior when I was a freshman in college. I studied her game tapes. She should be off having babies or something, not winning her third gold medal. Damn. A little jealousy here. I can't even find a fast pitch team to play on. Or a slow pitch one right now, for that matter. Patrick! I hate you!

And since I'm on a rambly roll.

The number one single most requested post topic here on my blog has been my wives' group. I intended to write about that today. But I just can't think of one amusing story. I'm going to have to think about it. I'm going to have to take a step back and try to find an interesting aspect. To me, it is just day-to-day shit, you know?

But I will say this. I have never once seen any actual coffee consumed at a Wives' Coffee. Wine, yes. Coffee, no.

No comments: