Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Should I be concerned about this?

There comes a time in every married women's life when she must ask herself, "Should I be concerned about this?"

So let's start at the beginning, shall we?

My husband says that I have a mutant magnetic field surrounding me that messes up every electronic device I come in contact with. The wireless router is a great example. Sometimes, I think he is right.

This morning the phone kept ringing just one and a half times, almost like it was on call forwarding. So I tried 73#, just to make sure, and then I dialed my own home phone from my husband's cell, since mine was charging. I connected to the voicemail of a pleasant-sounding woman at a freight company. Weird.

So I called the phone company and they're working on it. Should be all fixed by next Monday. Monday!? They asked for a number to call in the meantime, and I gave them my husband's cell number.

So my son and I spent the morning avoiding the cleaning ladies. I realized that I had left the phone downstairs and I went to retrieve it. There was one voicemail. I assumed I had missed the phone company's call, so I checked his voicemail and heard this message.

"Hey *my husband's middle name, which is what the family and I call him*! It's Michele. Just returning your call. I guess I'll see you later. Bye!"

Now, I don't know anyone named Michele, and certainly no Michele that would call him by his middle name. Everyone calls him by his call sign.

Oooh! Sounds dramatic. I laughed about it, though. I laughed and then I had one brief, fleeting thought. "Should I be concerned about this?"

It was a brief and fleeting thought because I have absolutely no fears about my husband's fidelity. It just isn't in his character to cheat on me. But he does seem to have this subconscious ability to attract women.

It's funny because he doesn't exactly look like a GQ model or anything. In fact, he is clothing-challenged. There's something about his personality, maybe something non-threatening and honorable that makes his casual female acquaintances want to be his friends.

I understand that it must be extremely difficult to be a single woman in the military, especially in an operational field. But why does every women he's ever worked with glom on to him?

One time when he was in flight training he told me a couple of Marines were coming over to study. So I went out to give them time alone. When I came back in, my husband was sitting at our dining room table with the most beautiful woman I've ever seem in real life. This was the Marine? Come on!

I've had friends who have worried about their husband's cheating on them while they are deployed. Sometimes, they have no need to worry. But sometimes, as my husband can attest, they are right on the money.

I can't even imagine living with the fear that the man I love would cheat on me. What kind of relationship can that possibly be? Jeez! My guy once told me that although going to strip clubs is a military tradition, he avoids lap dances because they just feel too much like cheating. (Do you guys think he was feeding me a line on that one?)

But, be that as it may, you know I'll be ever so casually asking him about this Michele. And he better have a good answer.

No comments: