Tuesday, February 22, 2005

What more could you want?

My parents are visiting this week. (I think I haven't mentioned their visit here, because if I ignore it, it will go away.) Tonight my father babysat my son so that my mom, my daughter, and I could go see Tops in Blue.

Tops in Blue is just the coolest thing. It is a traveling musical show with a cast and crew completely made up of Air Force members.

Hot military guys who can sing and dance? What more could you want?

Well, these guys and girls are talented too. There was more talent on that stage tonight than in the finals of any American Idol.

It really amazes me. These people, who have so much musical and dancing talent, have committed their lives to service of their country. After their tour with the show is over, they will go back to their Air Force jobs as aircraft mechanics, medical technicians, and public affairs officers. They'll go back to building munitions and flying airplanes.

The shows are dedicated to military folks and their families, but in many cities, they also invite the public. If you ever have a chance to see them perform, you should. It is a wonderful reminder that our troops are real people with families, talents, and desires beyond the mission.

Every time I see Tops in Blue, I come home with a headache from crying. This year was no exception.

At one point the performers came out into the audience and pulled people up with them to dance. A very tall female lieutenant pulled my daughter out and danced and twirled with her. If you could have seen the look on my daughter's face, you'd be crying too. It was pure joy.

They also always end the show dressed in formal uniforms singing the tear-jerker songs. This year the singer said that they had just returned from a twelve week tour in the desert and that this particular song was requested over and over again by the people serving there. He said he was singing it from them to us.

I sat next to my daughter, who was listening to a song "from her Daddy" and I cried my friggin eyes out. I'd heard the song before, I guess, but I had never really listened to the lyrics before.

He called her on the road
From a lonely cold hotel room
Just to hear her say I love you one more time
But when he heard the sound
Of the kids laughing in the background
He had to wipe away a tear from his eye
A little voice came on the phone
Said "Daddy when you coming home"
He said the first thing that came to his mind

I'm already there
Take a look around
I'm the sunshine in your hair
I'm the shadow on the ground
I'm the whisper in the wind
I'm your imaginary friend
And I know I'm in your prayers
Oh I'm already there

She got back on the phone
Said I really miss you darling
Don't worry about the kids they'll be alright
Wish I was in your arms
Lying right there beside you
But I know that I'll be in your dreams tonight
And I'll gently kiss your lips
Touch you with my fingertips
So turn out the light and close your eyes

I'm already there
Don't make a sound
I'm the beat in your heart
I'm the moonlight shining down
I'm the whisper in the wind
And I'll be there until the end
Can you feel the love that we share
Oh I'm already there

We may be a thousand miles apart
But I'll be with you wherever you are

I'm already there
Take a look around
I'm the sunshine in your hair
I'm the shadow on the ground
I'm the whisper in the wind
And I'll be there until the end
Can you feel the love that we share
Oh I'm already there
Oh I'm already
There

Lonestar--I'm Already There

No comments: