Sunday, July 18, 2004

Best Show Ever and the Dirty Dozen

Am I the only one who absolutely loves VH1's Best Week Ever?  I'm a sucker for those soundbite shows.  Best Week Ever even has a blog.  You gotta love that.
 
Sadly, I get much of my news from BWE.  Like this week I learned that George Michael shut down the chat function at his site because people were calling him fat.  Oh, Mark, honey.  Poor baby.  I know how bereft you must feel.  If you just desperately need to express your love for GM, you can e-mail me.
 
When you watch BWE at 2 a.m. on a Saturday night, like I do, you also get to see commercials for Seasonale.  Seasonale is the birth control pill that makes you only have your period four time a year.  On the commercial they actually represent these periods by big red, well, periods.  And then these woman (dressed all in white because that's what girls wear when they have their periods) start throwing away eight of these periods like frisbees.
 
I find this commercial to be very disturbing.
 
At first, it sounds great.  Four periods a year?  Yeah, I'm feeling that.  I don't even need birth control, but I'd consider that.  Then you just have to think, is that really good for you.  I mean, there's a reason why you get your period every month.  They even say in the commercial something like,"Now we know what you're thinking.  Is that okay?"
 
Then they go on to explain about the "breakthrough bleeding" that you'll get worse than before.  Suddenly, four periods a year sounds like a dicey proposition.
 
So I will continue to shed my uterine lining once a month, thank you, just like god intended.  And I''d strongly suggest that you do the same. 

No comments: