Friday, July 09, 2004

What's in a Name Again?

My oral surgeon has another patient with my name. She even has the same middle name. At my appointment yesterday, the nurse had to run and switch our files. This isn't the first time this has happened.

The last time I had surgery there, they were just about to put me under when I noticed that the X-ray hanging from the lightbox didn't look like me. It took a minute to sort it all out, and they tried to play it off like it wasn't a big deal. But, jeeze. That could have gone very wrong.

From now on, I'm going to identify myself there by my birth date. I'd like to know that the surgeon knows who I am while he rearranges my face.

I told my husband this story and he had one of his own.

(Okay, imagine this is Tuna Hubby speaking with a voice not quite as deep and rich as Vin Diesel's, but close.)

I was inprocessing today and this guy kept looking at me really funny, like a scared rabbit. Two or three times, he asked me my name (which is clearly printed on his name tag). Then he said, "There's another (his name) who just came through here too, you know."

So I said, "Oh yeah. I knew that, but I guess I had forgotten."

And the guy says, "Yeah. He was a real asshole. You're not, though"

Great. Now I'll be working in a squadron where everyone is going to assume I'm some asshole before they even see me.

(You can stop imagining my husband now.)

That's sort of funny because most people assume my husband is an asshole after they see him. He just has this sort of intimidating/thuggish look to him.

He's one of those annoying people who goes by his middle name. (Sorry, you other middle name people. I know you're out there.) I suggested he start going by his first name and he just laughed it off. Most people only know him by his call sign anyway.

Yes, we have the most common names ever. Only John Smith or Jane Doe would be less original. And we named our kids pretty boring names too. Oh well. I don't think the world will miss one more Brooklyn-Dunn Carrington or Hoodie Jamison Brats.

No comments: