Friday, July 30, 2004

Let's Embarrass the Tuna Girl

Today seems like a good day to tell a couple of embarrassing stories about myself. 

When I was in the fourth grade, my family took a trip to Disney World.  We drove down, taking in the sites and visiting family along the way.  But, well, this is my family we're talking about, so there had to be a lot of tension.

I have a very clear memory of being in Tomorrow Land, rushing to get into the Space Mountain line, when my mother said that she had to go to the bathroom.  My father yelled at her about it, but she still hustled off.  I had to go a little, but not enough to get yelled at too, so I figured I could hold it until we took a break.

Once we were in line for Space Mountain, I realized that I really needed to go.  But I was sort of stuck by then.

So we went on the ride.  I'm sure I enjoyed myself since I love roller coasters.  But on the way out of the building, well, I really had to go.

We were standing on one of those moving sidewalks that they have at Disney.  And I just couldn't hold it anymore.  But I didn't want to say anything and get yelled at.  But, well, I had to go more than I realized.  And once I started, I couldn't stop.  So I ended up standing in a puddle on the moving sidewalk.

My parents were mad, and embarrassed.  Of course I was too.  But then it got even worse.  The moving sidewalk started moving downhill.  Yup.  As you can imagine: waterfall.  The people in front of us were all jumping out of the way, trying to avoid getting wet.

I don't really remember much after that.  But I swear that was one of the most embarrassing moments of my life.

*****

The Executive's post about some special art yesterday reminded me of this awkward situation.

When my daughter was in 3-year-old preschool, my husband was deployed most of the school year.  There was another little girl in the class who's father was deployed with my husband.  So having daddies far away was something they talked about quite a bit in class.

One day, my daughter told me that Mary's daddy was far away too.  I hadn't known that, but there were quite a few military families in the school, so I wondered if he might be military too.

The next day I saw Mary's mother at car pool.  She was chatting with me about my husband's deployment so I asked her, "Is you husband military too?"  She told me he wasn't.  "Oh.  My daughter told me Mary's daddy was away too, so I thought he might be."

She got a rather pained look on her face and I figured I had just put my foot in my mouth.  I figured they were divorced or separated or something.

"Well, we have been trying to keep it quiet, but my husband is in prison." she informed me.

Ack!  Talk about awkward.  I think I just said, "Oh.  I'm so sorry," or some such thing, but she went on to tell me the whole story.  As if I wanted to know.

After that, she must have decided that I was the only person she could talk to about it, because I got to hear all about their situation whenever I ran into her.  that's what I get for trying to be friendly.

*****

Wow.  It was kind of fun telling embarrassing stories about myself.

This weekend, my husband is going to a soccer referee clinic.  He wants to learn the game so that he can coach my daughter's team next year.  But, he'll be gone most of the weekend.  That will mean either way more blogging, or much less.

Have a good weekend everyone!  Take care.

No comments: