Wednesday, July 14, 2004

You Like Me!

I'm always a little shocked when I hear people say nice things about me. It's not that I'm insecure, I'm just surprised that people get me.

For example, last year when I met a new neighbor, she said, "Oh. I'm so glad to meet you. CB talks about you all the time. She thinks you're so wonderful."

Now, CB is my best friend. Why would I be surprised that she would say nice things about me?

I remember feeling this way as a teenager too. I didn't realize it at the time, but I was actually very popular in school. Maybe the fact that I didn't think I was popular contributed to that.

So, my husband and I were relaxing in the bath tub last night, with my broken toe propped up on the edge. We do some of our best talking in the tub. We were talking about this and I told him that some blogger friends had said some nice things about me, and it made me feel so great.

"Why am I surprised when people like me?" I asked him. "I like me. Why wouldn't other people?"

"You have to realize that most people are insincere," he replied. "When someone takes the time to sincerely compliment you, it can be a little surprising."

I guess he's right about that.

"I think I'm sort of complicated," I told him. "I think it's probably pretty hard for people to get to know me. I mean you get me, but how many people really see all sides of me."

"I get about 40% of you," was his reply.

I laughed at that and told him he was cute. "But seriously though," I asked. "You get to see the having-crazy-sex-me and the doing-the-mom-thing me."

"That's about 40%." He said.

Yeah. Cute.

The discussion made me realize why I enjoy blogging so much. It's really the only place where I can be irrepressibly me.

But let me say this. You know you're thinking about blogging too much when you're composing posts in your head while having sex.

Sorry, Honey. You're the man.

No comments: