Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Like Mother, Like Daughter. Not!

Boy.  I get one little pity link from one little Famous Author and I get my highest hit day ever.  It's just too bad I didn't see it coming.  I could have actually written an interesting post.

That's not to say that you should expect an interesting post today.

My daughter is going to soccer camp this week.  She loves soccer, but she doesn't quite understand the concept of competition.  She gets so upset when someone takes the ball from her.  She thinks everyone is supposed to be taking turns with the ball.

I was a little nervous about sending her to this camp because I felt like she was a little young.  But she begged, and she really could use the exercise, so I relented.

Now everyday when I  pick her up, she's crying.  "I hate that boy!  He's mean.  He keeps stealing the ball!"

So she sits on the sidelines and cries.  This kills me!  Where is her killer instinct?  When I was that age, if a boy took a ball from me, I would have slide tackled him to get it back.

The coaches swear that she does fine all day.  She's the youngest in the group, but they say she is well-behaved and she's learning skills.  They say that it is only at the very end of the day, when she's tired that she starts getting upset.

Argh!  I'm not used to having the problem child.  And I don't want her to lose her love of soccer.

Sometimes it is absolutely amazing to me that my daughter can have such a vastly different personality from my own.  She's a little bit more like her father, but only in a few small ways.

She and I are having a tough week.  She's a very intense child.  And she's emotionally manipulative.  And she peed on a table!  How is it even possible to pee on a nightstand?  She claims she wasn't standing on it.

She's supposed to be spending an hour in her room right now, napping or resting, or even playing quietly.  She's been out in the hall at least three times so far.  *sigh*

Okay.  I'm sorry.  I'm having a bad mom week.  I really need this moment to rant before I go insane.  When I rant about this type of stuff to my husband he always wants to fix it.  He tries to come up with strategies to change her behavior and these strategies usually involve punishment.  I wish he could see that I just need his understanding, not his problem solving.

Yeah.  You know what?  I really need that cruise.  And a drink.  Anyone want to meet me for a drink?

No comments: